Sunday, May 24, 2015

From Maine at Sprucehead Marina, - approx. 4 x 6 in. --that tiny house across the water (or mud flats depending on the tide) ....this one the tide is in, as you can see.   2014 July.



Sketch below done during the hour in which my teacher was doing his demo.   I sit with my tiny travel paints in my lap and my post card size Watercolor paper sketch book.  Here is a little covered boat and an uncovered boat, both on stands, being ready for work, I suppose.   approx. 4 x 6 in.



And this is one below of my fellow painters during a different demo by our illustrious teacher,  David Dewey. --approx. 4  x 6 in.    I was fascinated by the colors in the sketch.   The person across the way, facing us, was actually an attractive lady, but my sketch made her look like a basketball player.  Ha ha, no offense.  Just was concentrating on the colors -experimenting with various ways to make gray.  2014  



Here is another view of Birch Point Beach State Park, --approx. 4 x 6 in.--where we often go in the Master Watercolor Class each year.  



Now then, this one below was painted at the Land, Sea and Air Museum on Mechanic's Street, Rockland, Maine--approx.  4 x 6 in.  - 2014.   I did add to it later like I do with many of the others, with gouache, messing with the colors, trying to adjust to what the painting seemed to want.  Often it is just an experiment.   What if I layer over this particular shade of yellow, what will it do to the work?  



My dear friend, Joan, and I went to Monheghan Island and painted the day after the Master Watercolor Workshop in 2012? or 2013?  There is this great red house there,  probably painted by artists already a zillion times.  Approx. 4 x 6 in.  I did, as with many of the others, find this later at home and  add layers and layers of gouache to adjust the colors like one can do in oils and acrylics but supposedly cannot do in Watercolor.  I wonder what it's like to rent this house and stay there a night, or a week of nights, on Mohegan Island.  Thank you, Joan.




Another Sprucehead Scape below, Sprucehead Marina, Maine.  
This is one of my faves!   long and thin.  But I love the colors and the feel of it.   It is the same scene of the tiny house across the water/ mud flats that may of us paint ..... ( See 7 paintings above)  We can't help it; it is just an intriguing scene with that little house peeking out from behind the trees across the bit of water.  So what I like about this is the color.   It seems right and didn't need going over with gouache.  2014 
Approx. 3  x  9 in.  

No comments: